Jacob Payer - Isolation Special #1 - National Champion - 2019 Spikeball Roundnet College Nationals
What Are You Doing During the Roundnet Season Break?
Featuring: 2019 Spikeball Roundnet Collegiate National Champion Jacob Payer
Notable tournament finishes/power rankings
- Winning 2019 SRA college nationals
- 2nd at Pt. Pleasant, NJ SRA Tour Stop
- Power rankings: 10th spot with Sam Buckman, 12th spot with Ryan Baillargeon
Payer Payer Ace Sprayer
The first interview in this series features 2019 Spikeball Roundnet Association collegiate national champion, member of a top ten nationally ranked team, and dude who is loved across the nation, Jacob Payer of Cal Poly University, San Luis Obispo (SLO) in SLO, CA!
I asked Jacob to answer a few questions roundnet related, and not roundnet related.
Read ahead and keep practicing that lefty, tweener, reverse, cut drop serve!
What are you doing related to training for roundnet?
- Trying to play isolated as much as I can (serving/hitting/setting practice).
- Hitting to a wall is my best friend.
- Watch videos! There’s 100’s of players that have lots of content out on YouTube.
What are you doing non-roundnet related?
- Going on hikes & runs more! Helps to have cardio workouts too.
- Some notable GOAT’s in Roundnet (Buddy & Jarratt) have been doing online workouts that’ve been killer!
- Disc Golf! Working on wrist control for power & precision is crucial for success in roundnet.
What is your nutrition like during this time?
- I try to eat eggs everyday.
- I also try to have multiple fruits per day.
- I don’t drink soda, so I’d say that’s pretty healthy! (Trust me you don’t want to, it’s not good for you).
What has your Hydration, cooking, sleep, etc. looked like?
- I have multiple reusable water bottles that I crank through!
- I’ll try to cook everyday, it can get too expensive to eat out.
- Getting 6-8 hours of sleep a night, read a book before you sleep! It’s not healthy to view that phone screen before you snooze.
A Few Non-Roundnet Related Questions
What are you doing for yourself during downtime from roundnet gatherings?
Any new hobbies, old hobbies, etc.?
- Lots of Disc Golf( let’s play @ Clark Marshall )
- Picked up bowling a few months ago, it’s great! But a lot of the alleys are closed!
Art, reading, cooking, knitting etc.?
- Gaming a little bit (Clash Royale let’s goo)
- Journaling everyday!
More Roundnet Related Questions
Advice for others during this freetime to help improve at roundnet?
- Watch videos of some of your fav players!
- Be involved with the Facebook group if you aren’t already, tons of players are on there & the community is very welcoming & friendly
- Ask! Players that have experience will gladly tell you about all they’ve done in the Spikeball Roundnet Community.
What are you missing most not going to tournaments/pickup/practice?
- Everyone else in the community!
All time favorite tournament attended?
- Either College Nationals playing with Sam last year, or Pt. Pleasant with Ryan Baillargeon last year!
Check back for more “What Are You Doing During the Roundnet Season Break?” interviews!